D&D - Lunchtime Heroes
Session 89 Summary
back to Journals
- Exhausted from fighting demons in the middle of the night the characters retired to the tavern where they were given some hot soothing tea and cake
- As they were about to go back to bed Michael asked to speak with everyone except Springrise, which Springrise took rather well
- Michael asked the others if they thought Springrise’s change in belief straight after the visit to the church was odd, particularly for a paladin. He offered to pray that night to his god Ilmater for magic that might help him, and the others agreed. Hoss was a little surprised that Michael had access to priestly magics.
- They didn’t post a watch, but slept without incident, aside from Hoss whose corrupting nightmares were worsening
- The following day Leto engaged Springrise in discussion about the portals of the Feywild to distract him.
- Springrise mentioned the name ‘Teller’ – Springrise’s partner and Norkas’ father, but was cut shot as Michael grabbed his head and called to his god to purge the remnants of evil from the elf
- Springrise immediately remembered his time with Father Calme; how he revealed him to be illusory, and how the priest turned and said ‘you shouldn’t have done that’ before cursing him with changed memories
- Springrise also remembered another modified memory, concerning the farewell of his love Winterbrine
- Norkas asked about Teller (‘that bastard’), and where he was, and said that they’d talk about him later
- As Springrise told the others of Father Calme’s illusions they saw that as confirmation of their suspicions about him, and planned to confront him
- Hoss suggested they wrest control of the town from Father Calme, causing the others to mention that this seemed a little out of character. Springrise indicated to Michael that he should cast Remove Curse on Hoss as well, and he did, purging him of the corruption he’d accrued so far, and momentarily making him lost for words. Michael went to get a drink with an “I’m out!”
- They decided to bring Meridia in and she brought Kaira along. Leto quietly gave her the shield guardian amulet to wear, so that she would be safe if things got gnarly.
- They arrived to Calme seeing out a full house of parishioners, holding a very full collection plate. He saw the tense group and gestured for them to join him. As they entered Meridia barred the door.
- Leto proceeded to question Calme about the ritual, seemingly wanting to get the full story from the horse’s mouth. Calme was evasive.
- Calme suggested standing in a zone of truth. He made a couple of assertions within the zone:
- Aside from a small teacup of blood the ritual will do neither you nor your sister any harm whatsoever
- The madness and corruption that has infested this town will be lifted after the ritual is complete
- This only raised more questions with the curious group, and eventually he stated that the ritual’s true purpose was to recover something long since lost to him; a stick
- Eventually Calme realised that the group would not be going ahead with the ritual, and he seized Hoss and threatened to kill him if Leto did not go ahead with it
- Leto glanced over at Meridia to see her reaction, but she was just looking infatuatedly at Calme